Friday, February 26, 2010

What a week!

Tonight at 1:30am will mark the 1 week anniversary of my water breaking, and since I haven't posted my story yet...here it is!

The last few weeks have been daunting. Over the course of 4 1/2 weeks our ward had 4 funerals and being the RS President- I organized (with the help pf many) luncheons/dinners for all of the close families and friends of those whom had passed. I was happy to do it, but it took a toll on me physically- seeing that I was 8+ months pregnant and had to be on my feet a lot. All of that in addition to my normal routine of keeping up with my little ones, other parts of RS duties, and my constant nesting urges made for an exhausting month.

Last week we had a fabulous Visiting teaching conference on Thursday evening, I helped with Ava's preschool on Tuesday and Thursday, got 2 weeks of groceries on Wednesday (with both girls), and taught Sydnee's preschool Friday morning. So once preschool was over, I crashed. I was bone tired, so I let the girls play and I rested...the whole day! When Todd got home we had dinner- which he probably made, I can't remember. Once the girls were down, Todd and I got to work. I had decided I wanted some furniture moved around a bit to make room in the nursery and put a bed in the playroom. Todd did all of the major moving and I did the little stuff. We went to bed LATE- like between 11:30-midnight, BUT the house looked great. Snacks were packed, an agenda for the girls was written out for the girls, our bedroom was clean and organized, and my bag was packed ready for my induction date on Thursday morning- 6 days before my due date. Well all night while we were getting stuff in order, I just felt funny. I won't go into details, but I just felt a little off. So once I had fallen asleep- way after my bedtime- I felt really weird. I get up out of bed and *GUSH* my water has broken. Whoa. Now my water broke naturally with Ava as well- so I at least knew what to expect. So I woke up Todd and began to gather my things. I love my husband and I get a kick out of his "oh my goodness this is serious" panic mode. I asked him to start by calling friends to have them watch the girls. He helped get stuff together and we got ready for departure. Uncle Jim came and we were off. I asked if he had grabbed the camera when I had asked him to- nope- turn around. Back on the road. We've called our parents. At the hospital- walking in with a towel between my legs- niiiiiiice. They check me in while Todd calls our siblings. Once we are in, we get settled and we wait. I hadn't felt contractions before my water broke, but then they came. Once we were several hours into it, I asked for the epidural. I got it- I hate getting those in- and they turned up the pitocin. After a bit, I knew it hadn't worked like it is supposed to- I could still feel everything on one side of me. The same thing had happened with Ava and the epidural had worked completely with Sydnee so I knew the difference. I kept praying it would work. :) Nope. Blessedly, 7 hours after my water broke, 1 hour after I had received the epidural, she came. Lucy Christine: 7 lbs 10 oz, 19 1/2 inches long, pretty and pink and healthy. What a blessing.

Since then we've made it home and experienced our first several days of our new life. And I know there will be difficult, sleepless nights ahead of me- but I couldn't be happier. Lucy is a sweet and darling princess and I can't help to smile when I look at her.

On Sunday, while still in the hospital, I was also released from my responsibilities as Relief Society President. I had known this was coming, and was hoping to be able to say my good-byes as the leader, but Lucy had other plans...and actually, I don't mind a bit. I had worked 2+ years in that calling. There were times when I wanted to give up, when I was sick of the taste of humble pie, and when I just flat was tired of dealing with emotional women! However, in the last few months as I worked on 3 of their funeral arrangements, welcomed several babies, cared for many sick, and assisted some financially afflicted- I began counting my blessings. Not the type of counting that I was "glad I wasn't in their shoes" but the kind where I was grateful to be a part of something greater than myself. When I was asked to serve in this position, I thought the bishopric was CRAZY, but I knew what my mother had instilled in me- that I could do anything I believed in, so I believed and in the end- I was changed for the better. So although I won't miss a lot of the aspects of this calling, I will miss being the leader of so many wonderful women who worked hard to bring about the Lord's work. And I guess, in a way, Lucy represents the results of my service. I know that sounds funny, but now that Lucy is here- I get to see the fruits of my labors. The kindness that I have extended over the years has reached back and I can see the bonds of friendship strengthening me for the next part in my journey- and for all of this I am grateful.

So it has been a week. A life-changing week, and I couldn't be happier. What a blessing.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seriously Lindsey....she is one of the prettiest babies I have ever seen!! Jeff looked at pictures of her and said,"Whoa, that is a pretty baby!" This is coming from a man who thinks all babies usually look the same! And I'm so happy you were released...not because you weren't the best RS pres ever (cause you were), but because you need a break with this new baby!!! Love ya!!!

Workmans said...

Wow what a week! I am so glad Lucy is finally here, what a doll. I feel bad you didn't get a break between your busyness and delivering your new babe....you have got to be exhausted! So, who is the new RS Pres?? I must say that you were extraordinary with your calling. Miss seeing your family!!

Stamp With Linz said...

Thanks friends. :)

Taylor- Kelli is pres with Tressa as 1st counselor, Lauren 2nd, Kim secretary :) They'll be great!

mistyp said...

Love hearing the birth stories! Glad she's here! She's adorable, just like your other two! :)

Steph said...

Yay!! I've been excited to hear the story. How exciting!! I was kind of dying to hear the details of what "feeling funny" meant...in hopes that I might feel funny with this one! I've never gone into labor on my own, and it sounds so exciting!
I'm happy for you guys and for this new phase of life. I'll be checking in to see how you handle having 3 kids...and hopefully getting some tips! :)

Janadt.Huggins said...

Lindsey, I totally know what you mean by "Feeling funny" that's how I went into labor with Azure. I loved your birth story and I can totally see how Lucy is the best result after being released as RS Pres. I love that you are accepting meals and visits from friends. That's huge for you and oh so important. Wish I was there to make you some dinner. I am however sending lots of love.

JuliaGulia said...

seriously she is such a cute baby. Must get that built in smile from her momma. Love it!! Good luck if you need anything please let us know.

carli k said...

beautifully written... thanks for sharing.

Moore Family said...

Lucy is so, so sweet. Congratulations again!

DNAgallows said...

Not that being pregnant was a good enough reason to rest...now with your precious one in your arms you can recover. What a fun birthday story! What a blessed birthday story! So sweet. You truly are an amazing woman. You have touched many lives and continue to do so. I knew you would be well cared for. Now you get to be a big blessing in the life of your beautiful family!

DNAgallows said...

add "'t" to was...love ya!

Leah said...

I love the story. I love it. I love how you expressed so many things and that you ended with you having Lucy and enjoying the fruits of your labors. Wow. Lucy is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!

D Lee said...

Thanks for sharing your faith and your family. So happy your baby is healthy and ya'll are so happy.