Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Recipes

I know...2 days in a row, are you shocked?

I love to cook and I'm pretty good at it, I think. My brother and sister-in-law asked me the other day where I got all of my recipes so I thought I would pass on some of my "wisdom" in this forum. Maybe it will help some of you struggling cooks out there or those just wanting to try something new.

My favorite recipe book of all time is my Better Homes and Garden's Cook Book.
The recipes I frequent most are their Roast Beef (I do mine in a crock pot), Home-made Chicken Noodle Soup & the Fresh Herb Vinegarette...but I have done a lot of them.

My next favorite cook book is 101 More Things to Do in a Crock Pot, there is only 1 recipe in there that we just kinda liked, but the rest are great. Our favorite is the Black Bean Sour Cream Chicken, its awesome. We've also done, as of last night, the brownie sundae, and it was yummy too.

So basically when I come up with my month's worth of menus I start with these books. From there I have some other things I like to try. Probably my most frequented web-site is run by some friends of mine: Lugubrious Delights. Here they put recipes that have been tried and succeeded. I admit that some of the recipes are beyond me and I just haven't even given a second thought to trying, although I'm sure I could do it if I just REALLY wanted to. Some of my favorites on this site include: Easy Homemade Salsa, Crock Pot Pulled Pork, & Mean Green Tortilla Soup.

Of course there are always family recipes to pull from too, and my sister has posted several on the site above, just look for "Heather's" recipes. She has also posted a recipe of my inventing that is super easy and delicious: Monterrey Chicken here. Or you can check out her personal blog: here for some other winners.

I do have some other cook books that I look through, but those are my favs. I just got Ree Drummond's Pioneer Woman Cook book and I love it. Pioneer Woman has an awesome blog that is just so funny where the pictures are awesome and the food is down-right yummy. I made the Buttermilk biscuits the other night and they were awesome.
Proof.

So there you have it! Happy cooking y'all!

2 comments:

jenhatch said...

i do LOVE that mean green tortilla soup! And that black bean soup in the crock pot sounds YUMMY!!

Marissa Joy said...

You really are a good cook! Thanks for all the recipes and suggestions. I need "Lindsey" lessons. Exciting about your new callings. Mike is in the bishopric here and I know that the bishop is even busier than his councellors so I feel for you! That is so crazy about all the changes they have been making in Waco, Wow! Plus your girls are growing so quickly! We miss you guys!