Saturday, July 7, 2007

Wildlife Preserve

Since it has rained nearly everyday for the last couple of weeks, I haven't had opportunity to mow the grass. Last weekend I did get to the front yard, but the back had started to go crazy.

Here's how tall it was compared to how it normally is:
We had noticed several days ago a couple of wild rabbits hopping in and out of the tall grass. We thought they were having a lot of fun, especially since Toby doesn't mind them playing in the yard.
As I mowed, I saw the rabbits didn't run out of the yard like they normally do when we go out there. They just stayed in the tall grass. I though it was pretty weird. On my fourth pass around the yard, I looked down at my feet because there was a dark patch on the ground and was moving: I thought I ran over one of the rabbits! Looking closer I realized I had uncovered a litter of 5 or 6 bunnies!
I had to be very careful about disturbing the nest because if I touched it, the parents would abandon them, so I looked as closely as I could to make sure I hadn't injured any of them. Fortunately, I had the mower raised an inch higher than normal so they were all okay, just scared from a 6 horse-power engine going over them.


According to the animal control, the parents should move the bunnies to a safer place, so I left a portion of the yard alone so the family can have shelter and food.
If you want to see wild rabbits, stop by. Admission will be free for a short time only.

4 comments:

Jim said...

Wow! I have let my grass grow for a couple of weeks and never been blessed to have bunnies nest in it. That is sooo cool.

Moore Fun Stories said...

Yall got a fun surprise in your grass. All we got was fire ant mounds. Fun.

The Nielsens said...

Whew.... I'm so glad you didn't run over those bunnies. That is so cool! What a fun surprise. Way to help in the preservation of Hewitt wild life.

Emily said...

Awww, that is so cute! I hope your baby bunnies do alright. All we ever find in our backyard are lizards!

Emily