Thursday, November 13, 2008

Disappointment at the zoo?

After we said goodbye to Lindsey, the girls and I went to the zoo. Now that the rain clouds of the last few days drifted away, the day was perfect for spending time outside with the cool breeze. I had never been to the zoo on a weekday. About 20 cars filled the parking lot, but we only saw 2 other families during the 2-hour visit. It was fun having the zoo virtually to ourselves, especially because all the animals were very active.

We could hear the gibbons from the parking lot. They were whooping loudly and playing a game of tag.

The last few times we went to the zoo, we didn't see the tortoises, but today they were there AND they were moving and eating! I think I was more excited about that than the girls (my top 3 favorite animals are elephants, spiders and turtles).

There is a butterfly garden we always skip, so we decided to see it today. We didn't see any butterflies at first until we sat quietly on a bench. It then seemed they appeared out of nowhere. What was most surprising, though, was Ava suddenly jumped up and grabbed a butterfly out of the air, cupping it with both hands. I don't think it got hurt and I believe Ava was more surprised than it was because she didn't know what to do with it.

As usual, it was a great trip to the zoo. We have certainly paid for the family pass. On the way home, I asked the girls if they had fun. Sydnee said yes but Ava said no. When I asked her why she said, "because the animals didn't catch any people."

3 comments:

Jeanette said...

I didn't know the zoo here had a butterfly pavilion. And I am very glad the animals don't catch people. Sounds like a fun place to go.

Todd said...

Yeah, it's part of the Brazos River Country exhibit right before the waterfall that leads to the jaguars and ocelots. I'm glad they don't catch people. I honestly don't know where she got that idea.

Kirst said...

I love Ava's comment, leave it to the children to give us something serious to laugh about.