Tuesday, December 15, 2009

You need an Elmer

Elmer the Elf is a Blackhurst tradition, and I think he's awesome. If we were speaking Harry Potter terms, you might call him a house elf- but one treated kindly, of course! Anyhow, Elmer encourages the children to clean up their rooms and behave the few weeks or crunch time before Christmas. If the children behave at bedtime, and have a clean room- then they can put a pair of shoes by their door. In the morning, the shoes will have candy in them. Elmer started 2 days ago with us, and the girls were so SO excited to see that Elmer had come. It's like Christmas morning every morning with the looks on their faces. Last night I woke up at 3am or something and thought...hmm, I didn't make sure Elmer came, hope Todd checked. So EARLY this morning I went to check- and he still hadn't. I "went to remind him" when we realized our candy stash was lame. So Elmer brought puzzles today. He left a tiny note, "I ran out of candy, hope you like puzzles." The girls were delighted, and they thought it was hilarious that he had run out of candy- but they didn't care- there was a Princess and Tinker Bell puzzle waiting to be put together. Ah, Elmer... I love you.

3 comments:

Spencer and Shreann said...

How fun! I think Elmer will be coming to our house too. :)

Cassidy said...

Funny how you had a puzzle on hand rather than candy! I wish I was as on top of things as you! What a fun idea!!

Stamp With Linz said...

I know- seriously! What is wrong with us? Actually- we wanted it to be candy that they hadn't seen- and so we thought it would be lame if we gave them what was in the candy dish. :) Todd will get some candy today, though- so we should be good. We had puzzles in our treasure box- which is now empty...so maybe me "being on top of things" is one big fat illusion. :)