Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Looking for my Liahona

I read just for a minute today from the Book of Mormon before the timer went off on the oven.  I made Pioneer Woman's Cinnamon Toast. It's different from regular toast and my family likes it.  Anyhow, I am in 1 Nephi and Lehi and his family were preparing for their journey into the wilderness and on their day of departure, Lehi emerges from his tent and finds a compass, of sorts.  He called it the Liahona. Anyhow-it made me think a lot.  I'm sure that Lehi (the father of the family) was worried, and I'm sure Sariah (the mother) was asking questions like, "Where exactly are we going?" and Lehi had to keep telling his family that the Lord would provide, all the meanwhile not knowing how the Lord was going to direct their path.  Very similar circumstance, I think.  So today I am looking for my Liahona.  We have prepared for the journey as best we could, our hearts have been tugged and pulled in many directions.  We believe that the offers for employment will come this week, maybe even today, so we want to be able to see what they offer, and decide what we should do.  I'm banking on the Liahona to guide us at this point, so my eyes and heart will be open to the possibilities.

Todd and I spoke about the "What Ifs" last night.  Mom had asked me if we had had that conversation- what if this, what if that...and I said we hadn't because there is just too much ambiguity.  We attempted a what-if scenario but it all comes down to the offers- who will offer what, and the terms.  I suppose it is also possible that no one will offer anything, which will also be an answer of sorts, so we will see.  I do pray we find out something today.

In other news- I was able to go to two showers on Saturday.  The first was baby shower. It was great and I love all the little details I was able to add with my little paper and scissors.  My co-hostesses came up with some awesome games and added their own special details.  It was a lot of fun- and the food was de-lish. The soon-to-be Mom was told she would never be able to get pregnant and so her husband and she have been preparing themselves for adoption for years.  It is a miracle baby and a great reminder of the Lord's plan.  The next was a bridal shower in Rockwall.  The shower was for one of my young women from Nacogdoches whom I was very close to and so I wanted to go to just show her my love for her.  I was not disappointed.  She was extremely excited to see me, as were her sisters, and it was just really lovely.  Of course, it caused me to reflect a bit.  When we moved into the Nacogdoches ward the oldest sister of this family (Jennifer), who was a friend at A&M and even worked at Sheltering Arms with me, said that our moving there was an answer to her prayers.  She was worried about her sisters and brother still at home- and she couldn't be there- so she prayed for someone to be their big sister while she couldn't.  And then we showed up.  I told the girls they had to come find me each week and give me a hug- from their big sister.  Well, as you know, I was called into the youth program immediately, and I was very close to all of them.  They had a rough childhood- and so I was there to love them when they felt unlovable, and it wasn't hard to do!  Anyhow- Amanda moved on with her life, grew up and such and has found a very good boy to marry.  I am happy for her, and I was so happy to be there to surprise the family with my presence.  However, in my driving back- I asked myself this- is someone praying for us to come to them?  I know that I made an impact on those girls' lives, and maybe there is someone else somewhere that needs Todd or me.  Who knows, but I'm ready to accept my mission- if it is not here.  I'm looking for my Liahona, perhaps it will arrive today. :)

xoxo
Your friend, Lindsey

2 comments:

DNAgallows said...

Very insightful! I am touched by your "likening" of the Liahona. Appropriate. Definitely looking in the right direction, my friend. He is there for you and reaching for you as you all reach for Him. You have always had such great faith and powerful prayers. I know they will be answered accordingly. Boy howdy! I am sure there are several lives waiting for you guys. I also believe it is a privlege for others to strengthen and lift you as you have so many. (Sorry comment turned to post )...XOXOXO

Becky H said...

thank you for your comments at church today. I think we all seek direction in life and wish it would come to us plainly. But this is how we grow. I have appreciated your family and your great example of service and love. You have been an example to me and I am thankful you have been here in Waco. I am sure the people in your new ward will be touched by what you can share. Take care. Love you, Becky.