Friday, January 2, 2009

Patience, my dear ones

Yes, it is January 2nd and I said I would post today. Unfortunately, my camera is not with me (since the batteries dies during the unwrapping once again- what timing!) so this is just a little post.



We've had a wonderful Christmas celebration. Holidays are all about families to me, so being with family is priority one. We spent Christmas with the Blackhursts in Dallas, and New Years with the Kennedys in College Station. Santa Claus unexpectedly came twice to visit our little girls, although I am positive that it has nothing to do with "extra good behavior." The week before Christmas I began to wonder if Santa ever really put coal in stockings. I'm not totally naive, though, most of the time when I'm frustrated with my children its when I've got too much going on and my priorities are out of line. One thing I love about Christmas is the gift giving, its really the best part, but due to financial strain (who doesn't have these now-a-days?) we started our shopping later than usual (to save up) and it added some stress to an already crazy life. I believe everyone enjoyed their gifts, and the especially sentimental ones were greatly appreciated- which is the real gift for me.



One of the high-lights of this Christmas was heading up our ward's "Angel Tree" or Innkeeper Project, as I called it. (From the quote by Neal A. Maxwell, "Each of us is an innkeeper who decides if there is enough room for Jesus.") Being in charge of the organization of providing Christmas gifts for several families is a daunting task, but I have such a great team- it was really a rewarding experience. The best part was being a part of seeing everyone's generosity, even in such difficult times. It was touching, and wonderful, and those giving families and individuals blessed my life by their goodness even though I didn't unwrap the gifts they gave.



Some other personal highlights of this season: turning 30 and spending a quiet and fun evening with my husband, watching my friend Jana jump up and down yelling at her husband to NOT pick our package at an ornament exchange because he was going for the "Old Maid", spending time with some of my favorite families as we reflected on our year serving in the Relief Society, shopping with my sisters and mother the day after Thanksgiving, cooking for my in-laws while my father in-law was ill, decorating the tree with the little girls, going caroling with Ava's preschool class, seeing the Hawka (sp?) performed by the YM and our Tongan missionary, spending "Christmas morning" with the Prices as the girls discovered what Santa had brought, a night of laughing about nothing- and simple things- with friends to celebrate our friendships, decorating gingerbread houses with the girls and the Blackhursts, playing Pounce, the arrival of Lilly- my new niece, and my annual Christmas poem with the Kennedys.



What a blessing this season is- thanks to all of those people who make life fun, and happy.

1 comment:

carli k said...

sorry your camera died Christmas morning! sound like you had a lovely holiday.
did you cut your hair - looks like it in the title picture. soooo cute :)