Thursday, October 4, 2007

One of those days

I am up early today & hope that the girls will sleep in just a little bit more, but I won't keep my hopes up too much. Yesterday was one of those days. Everything frustrated me. I didn't get to work on all of the tasks I wanted to get done & Ava was a terror. For those that know Ava you might have a hard time believing this or you may think- "sounds about right". She's just so adventurous & curious, I've actually always thought it was a great quality, but yesterday not so much. For example, Monday she got into my make-up- my lip gloss may never be the same. Yesterday she went to the blanket closet & pulled them all out & made such a mess- I made her clean it up which means thatif you open the door- watch out!

There was a bit of a turning point when Ava had pulled me over the top & made me tear-up (it's really not a great feat, but it doesn't happen THAT often). She looked at me & asked, "What's wrong, Mommy?" and gave me a really sad look like she was about to cry too. She gave me a hug, probably because she felt bad (at least I HOPE so!) And when I was done she said, "You happy now?" Well, no it doesn't work that fast- but I was at least able to maintain my cool for the rest of the day. (Especially since Todd got home & I had him do the night-time routine to give me a break- thank you Todd!)


*Update, they're up but eating breakfast so I'll hurry*


But I'm resolved today will be better or else I'm saying this in hopes of convincing myself. :)


I actually am really grateful to stay home with my sweet girls. They are such lovely little people. They drive me crazy at moments, but I find if I try to relax & look for the humor in the moment it helps a lot. In fact even yesterday I was thinking that maybe the "terrible twos" is only terrible because the adults haven't figured it out yet...then again maybe that was just naive. Either way, I love my girls, good choice/bad choices. So as a little therapy for me today, here's some things I love about Ava. I hope to remember these throughout the day. I'll have to write a list about Sydnee later.


AVA
1. She almost always wakes up happy. This morning she walked in gave me a hug & said, "I'm not tired"...while rubbing her eyes.

2. She loves people. I attribute this to all of my Nacogdoches "family" because when we were at church, she was always being held by someone different. They really loved her & she loved them. We often had to go looking to see who had her at the end of the meetings. She continues to be fearless in a crowd of people & has lots of friends wherever she goes. We were at a park one time, just as a family, & another family pulled into to park and she said, "Look! Friends!"

3. She loves to learn. She's so smart, I have no one to compare her to, but I like to think she's as bright as they come. She knows most of her shapes, all of her colors, tries to sing the ABCs, and I've heard her count to 11 (although I honestly think it was a fluke).

4. She is incredible affectionate. She loves kissing babies & booboos. She gives great hugs & very wet kisses.

5. She's independent. I think (most of the time) it's funny when she says, "No I do it." She says this for some pretty funny things. Such as #4, she has gone up to me, turned my face & said "No I do it" and then given me a kiss.

6. She's silly. My Mom has said that Ava is the silliest little girl she knows, which is saying a lot knowing my sisters and I. I love it when she "clears her throat", gives high fives, says "yesssss" or acts like a monster (I love these things about Sydnee too- we teach our children some pretty funny behavior).

7. She's an entertainer. She sings, she dances, she does it all...and sometimes wearing high heels.

8. She's curious. I'm determined to believe this is a good thing. She always wants to see how I'm cooking something or what I'm doing when I leave her presence for a moment. I've observed her mimic me often, including sitting at the computer where she turned to tell me she was busy. (For the record- I would only tell her that if she was suppose to be playing with her Dad & I had work to do).

9. She's a great big sister. She loves Sydnee & always makes sure she gets a straw at dinnertime too, even if that means that Sydnee will just spill her drink all over her for the 5th night in a row.

10. She's my first *little tear well-age*. She's my teacher & I recognize her as such. She was the first one sent to teach me the basics of parenting & to dispel all of my preconceived notions on what parenting was all about. She is often patient with me when I am not patient with her. I recognize her ability to mimic me could also be a curse, so I'm trying to show her a Christ-like person to follow. Yesterday was not a good one, but today will be better.



I love this picture. She's wearing her butterfly wings (which you can't see) but it was such a pretty little pose, I had to take a picture.

4 comments:

Moore Fun Stories said...

Is it better today? I think I can relate. It's a good thing that you can count your blessings.:)

Stamp With Linz said...

Today was TONS better!

Jim said...

Lindsey, It's ok to have "bad" days, they make us appreciate the good ones. I also believe that you are spot on with your ten list of Ava. She is fearless around people, and loves people. I'm thankful for her kisses and hugs! Thanks for looking for the positive things in a bad day. I love being around you, cause the glass is always half full, not half empty!

Leah said...

That was so sweet. I love those things you wrote about Ava! You are a great mom. Don't we all just take a bad day every now and then? Usually they aren't the same day which is a blessing!
Love ya!