Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Merry Christmas & A Happy New Year

I sent out this e-mail New Year's letter today, so I thought I would post it here as well. Here is our family portrait we took at Sears this year as well...it's better in person.

Howdy friends & family!
Despite my best intentions, Christmas cards were not sent this year again! And to curb my guilty feelings, I wanted to send out a little update for us in hopes that you can "feel the love" through the Internet. We do sincerely wish all of you a happy, safe, & prosperous new year. Now if you're craving that yearly Christmas newsletter with all the nitty gritty, read on...but otherwise best wishes to you & your family from us. And don't forget you can get regular updates & see recent pictures right here!
Love,
The Blackhursts


A note from Todd: The year started out moving from a rent check to a mortgage check in February. We instantly started making changes to the kitchen (the night before closing) by replacing wallpaper with paint. It's the perfect house for us right now, especially the large backyard (except when I have to mow). In April I turned 30, which didn't turn out bad at all. We celebrated 1977-style with Afros and disco duds to boot! My big present was a grill, which has been well used throughout the year. I still enjoy working for Mars, and so do Ava and Sydnee because we tend to have quite a bit of chocolate around the house. I am still serving on the house council for the stake, which is a great learning experience that I enjoy. 2008 looks like a significant year for our family so we will be sure to keep you updated.

A note from Lindsey: As usual it has been an insanely busy year for me- all in the best ways. I still stay home with my sweet girls, which is just as fun & even more challenging than when I worked in the "real world." I have had a successful year with my little side business as a scrapbooking professional and even won a contest where I had my winning layout published in a magazine. My blog http://stampwithlinz.blogspot.com/ is also doing well and approaching 40,000 hits from visitors all over the world. Amazing, who knew that many people cared! As far as church is concerned, I experienced a first recently- I was released from my responsibilities as choir director after this year's Christmas program. Todd & I figured out that I had been serving in this capacity since 2000 with a few months off here & there, so I'm grateful for a change. However, I didn't expect the change to be SO drastic! I am presently serving- and have been for a whopping 2 1/2 weeks- as the Relief Society President. For those of you unfamiliar with this organization within the LDS faith, it's the biggest female responsibility within our congregation. It is in 2 words- humbling & overwhelming. There's a lot to learn, so I'm praying my memory can keep up with the tasks before me. I'm excited about 2008 and hope that it will be an amazing year. I will turn 30 in December, so I hope that the last year in my twenties is a rip-roaring good time!

A note from Ava: It's hard to believe that I will be 3 in February, time flies when you're running around the house in dress-up clothes all day. I spend my days playing with Sydnee while watching my favorite cartoons, "cooking" delicious meals for Mommy, and writing songs about my princessness. I am told that I am tall for my age (in the top 75%) and skinny (bottom 25% weight), no doubt my name is Ava Blackhurst. My hair, which has grown a lot this year, is blondish and curly but everyone always talks about my big blue eyes. I love spending time in nursery, singing with Mommy, dancing with Daddy, & spending all waking moments with Sydnee- my best friend. For 2008 I hope to become fully potty-trained, learn how to ride my big wheels I got for Christmas, & to watch all Disney princess movies several times before January 30th. Happy New Year!

A note from Sydnee: No doubt that I am the shyest member of this family, but once we're friends- we're friends for life, just ask my grandmothers- I let them hold me all day long. I am not 100% sold on the whole princess thing, but I am always willing to look through books or feed my babydoll. Since we moved into our new house in March, I have also learned to build sandcastles & swing on the monkey bars. I am quite the climber! And speaking of monkeys, my Daddy made me the coolest Halloween costume this year- a monkey (my favorite animal)! Ava was an elephant, everyone was impressed with Daddy, but he's no secret to me- he's the best. I recently started attending nursery on Sundays during church & think it's very fun- it's even better since Ava's in there with me. This year I am hoping to achieve great feats such as beating my sister to being potty-trained & learning all the words to "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star."

Happy New Year!

5 comments:

DNAgallows said...

What a precious family! I enjoyed your newsletter and felt the love through cyberspace! I hope all is going well!

Moore Fun Stories said...

I loved reading your newsletter. I loved everyone's notes.

Steph said...

Cute notes, you have such a sweet little family.

Leah said...

Darling post. The picture is very cute and I would love to see it in person the next time I am at your pad. I love the notes about everyone although I think one of my favorites was Ava saying her goal for 2008 is to be fully potty trained..or is that your goal for her? Just kidding. FYI: she WILL be fully potty trained. But my most favorite was Sydnee saying she wanted to be potty trained as well. So funny...but it's actually possible. Good luck with that and keep me posted. Please! :) Love you guys!

J & M Shumate Family said...

I love this post. You have such a neat family. Good luck on your new calling....WOW! You definitely are one amazing woman, with a great husband to support you along the way!!!