Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Forgot to knock

on wood that is...
Yesterday we took the Pathfinder, or JP as we can him, into get the brakes fixed. I noticed when I drove it last that they didn't seem right. Well Just Brakes has a deal where they will replace brake pads & shoes on all 4 wheels for $99. So they pulled JP in & the guy said to wait while they made sure it was just pads & shoes needed.
Let me just add here that JP has been an incredible car. It has never been anything but reliable, in fact for being as old as it is- we've really never had to fix anything that wasn't due for a change (tires, starter, battery, etc...in other words things that you are suppose to replace). It's been a real blessing. Here's where I should have knocked on wood...
We waited for the guy to give us the okay for the $99 and it was taking a lot longer than expected (or maybe it just felt like it since the girls were very hungry & unhappy to be buckled in sitting for more than a stop light.) He came back with a much larger figure- try x5 the $99 deal...apparently there are major brake problems that need to be fixed for a mere $500+...the car's value is at around $1000 so we're paying half its worth to fix the brakes. Ah, isn't that just life? Did I mention the air condition isn't working either?

6 comments:

TonyaKuykendall said...

That's so rotten!!! I know how you are feeling. Just about every one of our cars (My Mom's included) has had some kind of repair work done lately... I feel for ya... Have a great day!!!!

mistyp said...

Sounds about right! :) I keep telling Craig that he's in the wrong profession. He should be a mechanic so we can save thousands on fixing cars! ;)

Emily said...

I feel for you on the AC. Ours kept going on and off, teasing you with some nice cold air before blasting your with hot stickiness. I have to say that although it cost us, it was worth every penny. Sorry about your breaks though. We had Freddie Kish's Complete Car Care (I think it's on Franklin) do our back breaks a little but ago and they were great. Lower price too.

Em

Moore Fun Stories said...

That stinks. Been there and done that. Just Brakes (I'm sorry to say) has been deleted off my list. I hope they work now.

J & M Shumate Family said...

OK...how can you survive the heat w/o Air Conditioning???? Jon's super reliable truck broke just days before we left Waco AND my A/C completely blew apart...total cost for my A/C alone-$4000.00!!! Thank the LORD for extended auto warranties!

Todd said...

Unfortunately, the warranty went out a long time ago, although we've been blessed this has been the most reliable car. So, it's tough spending more money than the vehicle is worth. Fortunately, I'm only in it 10 minutes at a time, going between home and work.