Sunday, August 26, 2007

Marinara Sauce Recipe

You asked for it...so here you are! It's so good, you'll never go back to Prego again! I use it in spaghetti, pizza, as a dipping sauce- you name it! It makes a ton, so I freeze most of it...enjoy! Let me know if you try it and like it. :) It's not my originally recipe, my mother-in-law got it from a church Enrichment night that focused on pre-made meals or Mom's Meals for a Month.

Marinara Sauce

6 cans of 16oz tomatoes coarsely crushed
1/3 cup olive oil
6 cloves of garlic- pressed or minced
3 onions finely chopped (I've not ever used that much)
4 carrots- finely chopped
2 TSP dried basil
1 TSP dried oregano
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Heat oil in a 5 quart pot over medium heat. Cook garlic, onions, & carrots, stirring occasionally, until soft. Stir in tomatoes and juice, basil, oregano, salt & pepper. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat & simmer rapidly, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 1 1/2 hours or until sauce is very thick and reduced by about half.

No comments: